Re: maximum 'tatum' speed perception

I should have pointed out that my rate limit estimates of 8-10 Hz are
for isochronous sequences of uniform sounds. In real music, there is
variation in pitch, intensity, and timing. This variation often
defines slower periodicities that may function as a reference. Also,
expert musicians may well have exceptional skills in that regard.
However, the rapid production of notes is not evidence for tatum
perception; it may merely represent the filling-in of longer
intervals by rapid actions that are not individually controlled but
are part of a larger gesture.

--
Bruno H. Repp
Senior Research Scientist