sounds for signalling

Dear (ie those still alive) list members

I am interested in ongoing work/papers/references etc. to sounds used for
signalling the working status of a product (e.g. an MP3 player). I am aware
of the various ISO standards for auditory alarm signals for medical
equipment etc., but instead of only having two levels of information (the
patient is either dead or alive) this application requires more functions
(start - stop - standby - etc.) and the usage is also more complex re the
acoustic requirements (e.g. the product can be in a pocket etc. where the
acoustic damping is high). I am mainly interested in basic psychoacoustic
work in this area and not applications (although if there are some I would
be happy to learn about them).

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Soren