Re: Transfer function of middle ear

Hello Vivek,

I'm not familiar with PAQM, but it might be that PAQM uses the
same transfer function of outer and middle ear as PEAQ (ITU-R
BS.1387) does, because PAQM was one of the systems
"integrated" in the PEAQ recommendation.
PEAQ's function is derived from
Terhardt: Calculating virtual pitch, Hearing Research Vol.1,

You can find information about PEAQ's transfer function and
PEAQ itself at:

Best regards,

> Vivek Srivastava wrote:
> Hello List,
> I am a Masters student at Virginia Tech and am trying to
> implement  PAQM(a method to determine the audio quality of a
> signal). I am currently using Matlab for its implementation
> but am stuck at a point and would like some kind of help.
> I have to implement a "transfer function from the outer ear
> to the inner ear" in other words how sound changes when
> passing through the middle ear or the transfer function of
> the middle ear. Now I am not at all an expert in auditory
> models and am implementing this metric for the measurement
> of quality for a frameloss scenario.
> So could some one help me out either with some small snippet
> of code for the transfer function of the middle ear or some
> link which I can read and figure out myself as to how I can
> implement the transfer function of the middle ear.
> Thank a lot in advance,
> Awaiting some replies,
> Best regards,
> Vivek.