Re: pitch neurons

Martin and list,
       I think that the idea that neurons in the inferior colliculus are
sensitive to different periodic modulations of their input is generally
accepted. Many neuronal mechanisms would do that - not only intrinsic
oscillations. I don't think this is really the issue about which I feel
uncomfortable.
       The point is that these neurons mostly respond to sounds with energy
content within their tuning curve (with a lot of fine print attached, I
agree), and therefore cannot be interpreted as 'pitch neurons'. When you
say 'pitch neuron', I understand that you are looking for a neuron that
should respond to pitch irrespective of the underlying physical
structure of the stimulus - missing fundamental or not, iterated ripple
noise, high-pass filtered click trains, binaural or monaural, and so on
and so forth. I don't think that there's any data in the literature
(including the very nice Fishman et al. paper that you referred to in a
       It is precisely this high abstraction level of the pitch, its
independence of so many of the physical attributes of the underlying
sounds, that to my opinion argues for a high level of processing for the
common denominator of all of these sounds. This however does not
preclude a partial extraction of some of the features of such sounds
earlier (e.g. periodicity at the level of the IC).
       Eli

Israel Nelken                     | Tel: Int-44-1865-272438
Dept. of Physiology,              | Fax: Int-44-1865-272469
Hebrew University -               |
       Hadassah Medical School    |
P.O.Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120    | Email:israel@md.huji.ac.il
ISRAEL                            |