association test - again

Dear All

In my first mail (see below) it appears that I was not specific enough
(sorry for that) so I will try again. The situation is as follows: I have a
number of sounds that have been designed to signal a specific status of a
system (e.g. you call up the airline company to order tickets and you are
put on a hold - the sound you hear while on hold should give the
association "on hold" - or a heart rate monitor detects a HR above a given
threshold and the sound you then hear should convey "you are above the
threshold".

The experiment that I want to perform has a number of sounds that each have
been designed to signal a specific situation ("on hold" "above HR level"
etc.) and I would like to test if the association the sound conveys is
actually what was intended. The simple design would present the sound to
the subject together with a list of possible situations (e.g. "on hold"
etc. ) and the subjects task would be to indicate which of the available
situations that the sound is associated to - but the might be other more
clever designs ?

I hope this (more) a understandable

Regards and thank you for your time

Soren

Hi All

I am looking for references in relation to association tests: By that I
mean a test where I intend to present a sound to a subject and ask the
subject to indicate which of a given list of functions that is associated
with the sound. A range of different sounds, each of which (hopefully :-))
represent a given function, will be tested.

Any suggestions and/or references ?

Thanks for your help and time.

Best regards
Soren