Re: cut-off frequency of mammals and non-mammals' hearing

For high-frequency cutofs in mammals, take a look at:

Heffner RS, Koay G, Heffner HE.
Audiograms of five species of rodents: implications for the evolution of
hearing and the perception of pitch. Hear Res 2001 Jul;157(1-2):138-52

You can find quite a bit of bird audiogram data in:

Dooling, RJ Hearing in Birds in The Evolutionary Biology of Hearing, DB
Webster, RR Fay and AN Popper eds. 1992 Springer-Verlag, New York pp
545-559.

David C. Mountain, Ph.D.
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Boston University