Re: recognizing a source by its harmonic structure

Some other references are:

Fujinaga, I. 1998. "Machine recognition of timbre using steady-state
tone of acoustic musical instruments", Proc. 1998 Int. Computer Music
Conf., pp. 207-210.

Fraser, A. and Fujinaga, I. 1999. "Toward real-time recognition of
acoustic musical instruments", Proc. 1999 Int. Computer Music Conf.,
pp. 207-210.

Fujinaga, I. and MacMillan, K. 2000. "Realtime recognition of
orchestra instruments", Proc. 2000 Int. Computer Music Conf.,
pp. 241-243.

Kostek, Bozena. 1999. Soft Computing in Acoustics: Applications of
Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic and Rough Sets to Musical Acoustics,
ISBN 3-7908-1190-4, Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg & New York (243 pp.)

The Int. Computer Music Conf. (ICMC) proceedings can be accessed
online at http://www.computermusic.org, but you have to first join the
Int. Computer Music Assn. (ICMA) (again on-line).

The Kostek book includes a section on "Musical Signal Representation"
(including spectral and time-frequency representations) and a chapter
on "Automatic classification of musical instrument sounds".

Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
jwbeauch@uiuc.edu