Re: high quality sound system for fMRI

Thomas,
We have been using a custom-made pneumatic system that conducts sound via PVC
tubes to a pair of noise attenuating earmuffs. The audio quality is good up
to about 6KHz, which is fine for what we've been doing so far.

We are now experimenting with an off the shelf system made by Resonance
Technology, which appear to use a piezoelectric or electrostatic speaker
encased in the headset, but I am not sure of the exact specs (the literature
says simply that it is  nonpneumatic). It also includes a noise-attenuated
microphone in the scanner, and a microphone & volume control unit so it can
also be used as an intercom. The web site for this system is:

http://www.mrivideo.com/temp/functionalmri/commander.html

We haven't tested it much so far, but for an off the shelf system it seems to
work well. They claim 100 - 25000 Hz frequency response (elsewhere on the
site, they say 20 hz to 30 KHz), but they don't provide an audiogram that
shows how flat that reponse is, and we haven't had a chance to test their
claim as of yet.

-Marc-

--
Marc Joanisse, Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience