Re: Dprime and false alarm rates

Pawel,

Would you be willing to explain briefly what those measures are?  I don't
see how a reasonable statistic could account for a false alarm rate that
reliably exceeds a hit rate unless the listener was using the wrong
response label (i.e.- always calling the signal trials noise trials).  I
suggested to Kala off-list that her listeners may be at chance, thus
producing occasional results where the FAs exceed the hits.  I'm intrigued
by your answer but would like a bit more info as I can't easily access some
of those journals.

Thanks!

Erick Gallun
Research Associate
Hearing Research Center, Boston University

At 03:55 PM 11/17/2003 +0100, Pawel Kusmierek wrote:
Kala Lakshminarayanan said:
> Has anyone had the
> problem of having false alarm rates that exceed the hit rate sometimes and
> not being able to calculate dprime?

You may want to check the nonparametric sensitivity and responsivity
measures, such as SI and RI (Frey and Collier 1973 Learn Motiv 4:327) or
A' and B'' (Grier 1971 Psychol Bull 75:424, see also Stanislaw and Todorov
1999 Behav Res Meth Instr Comput 31:13).

Pawel

--
Pawel Kusmierek
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology