Re: apparent increase in loudness

Dear Leo,

I'm sure I remember reading something about the sound of a crying baby having
some unique biological relevance and as a result it was said to be
execptionally hard to mask/ignore. Can't remember where or when I read it
though...sorry.

James.

auditorylist,

during a recent transatlantic flight I observed
the phenomenon that the sound of a crying baby
appeared louder when I tried to mask it by
putting on a headphone with loud instrumental music.
It ran against my expectation that a partially
masked sound would appear less loud.
Is this a known phenomenon?

Leon van Noorden

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse@bradford.ac.uk