Re: Uncertainty principle debate

Fred,
If I understand well your email, you mention that the uncertainty bound is
not equal to 1/2 as derived by Gabor but much less than that (let say
0.004). But does this mean that there is no uncertainty? First of all, one
should imagine an experiment in which he/she can find the difference between
the two points you are talking about. In my opinion, the computation of this
distance requires a threshold detecting device. Note that if we even imagine
that an infinite precision threshold detectors exists, I am not sure that
there won't be any time-frequency uncertainty in this device. In fact, a
threshold detector is a device that compares values at times (t-n), (t-n+1),
(t-n+2), ..., t in addition to comparing the current value at time t to a
predefined threshold value (note that the slope is important to detect
in-phase points and not out-of-phase (a lag equal to pi) points). If we
accept this fact, then a very slow varying tone (with a very low frequency)
will need a very long window (n) (the window used in the threshold
detector). In my opinion, this implicitly implies the uncertainty somewhere.
On the other hand, in quantum physics the bound is much smaller than 0.004
(in fact it is in the order of the Plank constant). In my opinion again,
this means that theoritically we can develop other approaches (not in the
framework of the Fourier transform but in another framework) that can give
us much less uncertainty, but there will still be an uncertainty in our
processings.
Regards,
Ramin