Re: reverse engineering of acoustic sources

There is also some evidence that human listeners have a limited ability to
identify the shape (and a few other physical characteristics) of a vibrating
object. However, it is still unclear exactly what acoustic characteristics
the listeners use. See:

Lakatos, S., McAdams, S., & Causse, R. (1997). The representation of
auditory source characteristics: Simple geometric form. Perception &
Psychophysics, 59(8), 1180-1190.

Carello, C., Anderson, K. L., & Kunkler-Peck, A. J. (1998). Perception of
object length by sound. Psychological Science, 9(3), 211-214.

Kunkler-Peck, A. J., & Turvey, M. T. (2000). Hearing shape. Journal of
Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance, 26(1), 279-294.

Lutfi, R. A. (2001). Auditory detection of hollowness. J Acoust Soc Am,
110(2), 1010-1019.

Grassi, M., (2002). Recognising the size of objects from sounds with
manipulated acoustical parameters. In: Da Silva, J. A., Matsushima, E. H. &
Ribeiro-Filho, N, P. (eds.), Fechner Day 2002. Proceedings of the 18th
Annual Meeting of the International Society for Psychophysics. Rio de
Janeiro, Brasil: The International Society for Psychophysics, 392-397.

-John

________________________________
John G. Neuhoff
Department of Psychology
The College of Wooster
Wooster, OH 44691
Phone: 330-263-2475
Fax: 928-244-5577
http://jneuhoff.com

************************
"Ecological Psychoacoustics"
from Academic Press June, 2004
http://www.jneuhoff.com/ecopsyc.htm

http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/research/theory/Berry/the_papers/Berry102.pdf

But to go back to the paragraph at hand, with the caveat of not knowing
the context of the paragraph in their article, at least with respect to
acoustics there is still a lot not known precisely.

- Georg
georg(at)mle.media.mit.edu (current)