Re: reverse engineering of acoustic sources

Pardon my bringing in a negative view, but I have serious doubts that a
unique solution to any specific wave can be found. Although I have never
delved into the mathematics of it, I only know of the problem in phonetics,
where the acoustic-to-articulatory inversion has been extensively
investigated, only to come up with the answer that solutions require very
restrictive initial and boundary values and functions. I can't imagine that
the acoustic-to-musical instrument problem should be any easier to solve.
But correct me if I am wrong.

Pierre Divenyi