Re: reverse engineering of acoustic sources

Hi Neil and all,

I think the upshot of the inversion problem is that if you have a
reasonably good acoustic model to begin with, you can fill in the
"blanks" (the parameter values) which will yield sounds that match
the corresponding original sounds. (I've heard Neil's bells and they
really do sound good.) But the trick is to find a plausible  model
for an arbitrary sound, and I don't think an algorithm exists that
will pull that out of the hat.

A hypothetical question is: Can different musical instruments mimic
one another?

Jim Beauchamp