Re: Is there considerable phase locking up to 6 kHz?

Dear Christian,

Along these lines, with respect to the sound examples posted on his
web site, I responded (privately) to Chen-Gia as follows:

>On the 300 Hz F0 example I'm hearing E-G#-B .
>
>On the 350 Hz F0 example I'm hearing G-B-D, although somewhat flat
>compared to standard.
>
>On the 400 Hz F0 example I'm hearing A-C#-E.
>
>Could it be that I'm hearing the pitch of the center harmonic?

I didn't receive an answer to that question.

However, I noted that these are each musical pitches corresponding to a
major triad, which corresponds approximately to the ratios 4:5:6.

Taking the 400 Hz example, the center harmonic frequencies are: 4400,
5200, 6000, which have the ratios 4.2 : 5: 5.77 -- not a bad comparison,
except that 5.77/4.2 = 1.373 is more like a 3:4 interval than a 2:3.
Also, if I compute the equal-tempered pitches that match these
frequencies I get C#, E+, F# (E+ is about half-way between an E and an
F), which is not what I heard. So the place-theory idea might hold some
water, but it's not very accurate.

Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign