Re: Place-based pitch

It seems to me that we have the same problem with place-base pitch and
with temporal pitch if we believe that at least the initial mechanisms
for temporal pitch are monaural. In the place mechanism, some sort of
central processor must ultimately associate a pitch with a particular
inner hair cell or group of nearby inner hair cells and in the temporal
models it would have to associate a pitch value with a "pitch" neuron or
group of neurons (possibly located in the inferior colliculus). In either
case, the "tuning" properties of the inner hair cell or "pitch" neuron
will depend on a host of anatomical and physiological parameters that
would not be expected to be indentical on the two sides.

To me the wonder is how, it is that most of us have a pretty good match
between the left and right ears when it comes to pitch and other salient
perceptual qualities. Clearly, there must be some sort of mechanism (call
it learning or plasticity) in the central nervous system that compensates
for biophysical differences between the left and right ears and
their assocated neural pathways. Further more these mechanisms appear to
do a reasonable job of dealing with aging ears and aging brains.

David C. Mountain, Ph.D.
Professor of Biomedical Engineering

Boston University
44 Cummington St.