Re: place pitch and temporal pitch

Dear Martin

Is there any experimental evidence on this? I'm very curious, because I have
several examples on music cultures where the octave is very weak. In western
Georgian songs and instrumental music the fifth is far more common than the
octave. There is no singing in parallell octaves at all, (men, women or
together). The fifth is also the only interval that is stable. Fifth doubling
is very common. Parallell doubled fifth is the main feature of the church
songs. And there is no octave based scale that can explain the tonality in
western Georgian songs.

Johan