Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

Christian Kaernbach wrote:

To my students I give a simplistic criterion: as soon as memory
is involved, it's cognition.
What's up with "perceptual learning" then?
Also, the field known as "speech perception" would actually address
cognition (because speech processing depends on language experience).
There are also many examples in vision where the interpretation of a
scene depends on past experience (e.g. Sinha & Poggio (1996) "Role of
Learning in Three-dimensional Form Perception," Nature).

Actually, I have difficulties finding examples of processes which do
*not* involve some sort of memory/.//
/
Christophe Pallier