Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

Dear List,
   How about considering the following generalized definitions of
perception and cognition? I think that they could apply to all systems,
biological or manufactured, that use sensors for the purpose of optimizing
performance and/or preventing failure.

Perception: The process of receiving, separating, and presenting for
interpretation the information contained in an incoming stream of data.

Cognition: The process of interpreting the meanings of situations as
represented by the displayed information. Comprehending these meanings
enables an optimum response.

These definitions were derived from my operational analysis of auditory
perception available at:
    <http://home.computer.net/~jkbates>

      Best regards,
            John Bates