Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

I disagree. Even though I don't study music cognition myself, I can just look at my bookshelf to see several counterexamples:

Sloboda, "The Musical Mind: the Cognitive Psychology of Music"
Deliege & Sloboda, "Perception and cognition of Music"
Krumhansl, "Cognitive Foundations of Musical Pitch"
McAdams and Bigand, "Thinking in Sound"

Music would be fairly difficult to listen to if we didn't have some sort of organizational principles to give it structure. This is why atonal, ametrical music is not very widespread. It is difficult and not satisfying to listen to (at least for most of us).
A.

One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for
1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time. -Carl Sagan, astronomer and writer (1934-1996)

Angélique A. Scharine Ph. D.
Army Research Lab/HRED
AMSRD-ARL-HR-SD
Building 520