From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA] On Behalf Of Jesteadt, Walt
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 6:38 AM
To: AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
Subject: Re: Criterion differences when measuring threshold

Ben,

        Lynn Marshall and I looked at criterion differences in threshold
measurements for young and old normal hearing and hearing impaired listeners
about 20 years ago (Marshall and Jesteadt, 1986, JSHR, 29, 82-91) because
there was a silly theory at the time that a shift to more conservative
criteria was an important factor in presbycusis.  We found that listeners in
a standard audiological testing procedure produce thresholds that are
equivalent to 90 to 95% correct in a forced-choice procedure.  There was no
difference in response criterion as a function of age or hearing loss.  Our
bottom line summary was that in Nebraska, all listeners were conservative.

Walt