Re: the number of fixed categories in absolute pitch

The difference between AP and NAP subjects has been explained by the
assumption that in tasks of absolute pitch identification NAP subjects can
'transmit' about 3 bits on a single frequency dimention, while AP subjects
can transmit about 3 bits on each of two dimensions: Pitch height and
Chroma. (the magical number of 7 plus or minus 2, times two). There are
studies that give as result that AP subjects make more octave errors than
NAP subjects. I would like to scrutinize the experimental setup of the
experiment where the subjects showed the ability of indicating "C plus ca 10
cents". It should have been made sure that the subject was not able to use
relative pitch as a third dimension.
Leon van Noorden