Re: research on bad quality singing

Hi,

There has been some research about "bad" singing in the Music
Information Retrieval community, which is interested in applications
such as "query by humming"
(the user sings a melody to the computer, and the computer retrieves the
corresponding song from a database.).
Nothing cognitive there, though, rather pragmatic computational
solutions. However, there may be some pointers to user studies, etc.

See for instance

Meek, C. and Birmingham, W., Johnny Can't Sing: A Comprehensive Error
Model for Sung Music Queries, in Proc. 3rd International Conference on
Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR2002), Paris, France.
Available : http://ismir2002.ismir.net/proceedings/02-FP04-4.pdf
-
Pollastri, E. "A Pitch tracking system Dedicated to Process Singing
Voice for Music retrieval", in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf on Multimedia and
Expo (ICME) 2002 , Lausanne, Switzerland.
-

Hope this helps,
JJ

--
Jean-Julien Aucouturier, Assistant Researcher
http://www.csl.sony.fr/~jj