Postdoc in auditory brain imaging (IHR, Nottingham, UK)

Career Development Fellowship in Auditory Brain Imaging

The Institute of Hearing Research conducts world-leading research into hearing and hearing disorders. We have a fellowship vacancy offering a 3 year planned period of training and development to conduct brain imaging studies of cognitive influences on auditory function. We offer a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment in which to develop new skills and expertise in the rapidly evolving field of human brain imaging. You will join a new laboratory within a well established team that has unrivalled access to imaging facilities at Nottingham University. You will also have access to excellent in-house technical and computer support.

This post is part of a new research programme at the IHR where we will combine electro-encephalography (EEG) with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and psychophysical methods to investigate the development and neural bases of auditory perception in the human brain. The aim of the research is to explore (i) the mechanisms by which auditory sensory information is represented, (ii) how the sensory information is interfaced by cognitive processes and (iii) how the representations change during development. The project is closely related to other IHR research aimed at increasing the understanding of auditory processing deficits in children and their relation to learning problems.

This position will involve managing auditory electrophysiological (EEG) and psychophysical experiments with both adults and children, including designing new paradigms and data analyses, recruiting and testing listeners, and publishing the findings in scientific journals. There will also be the opportunity for conducting fMRI experiments, taking part in the setting up of an MR-compatible EEG system, which will eventually enable to perform simultaneous EEG and fMRI measurements. Training will be provided as necessary. The postholder will work closely with and be supervised by Dr Katrin Krumbholz.

The successful applicant will have a PhD in psychology, physics or engineering, and preferably, but not necessarily, have experience in the area of auditory perception/psychophysics or non-invasive neuroimaging (EEG/fMRI). As a successful applicant, you will be given every opportunity to develop your potential as a leader in this field. The appointment is fixed-term for 3 years and will be to a starting salary in the range £24,138 to £25,647.

For an informal discussion about this position, please contact Dr Katrin Krumbholz on 0049 2461 61 2073 (or 6343), email k.krumbholz@fz-juelich.de or Professor Dave Moore on 0115 922 3431, email drm@ihr.mrc.ac.uk. Further information about this vacancy can also be found here.

Applicants should send a CV and completed application form with a letter outlining interest and experience and details of at least two referees to the address given below. Applications should be received by 30 June 2004.

Regards from Katrin

PS.: I will be at the Human Brain Mapping Meeting in Budapest from 13th till 17th of June. If you are interested in talking to me about this post, meet me at my poster (#TH 68 in the Cognition & Attention and Imaging Techniques poster session on Thurday, 17th).