real-time signal processing

Does anyone have experience of using the package CPS, mentioned in a recent email, for real-time signal processing. I'm thinking, in particular, of applications in which a microphone signal is sampled, followed by a variety of operations (e.g., filtering, rectification, modulating, etc) and then output again. How reliable is the system, and what kinds of processing ddelays are typical?

Thanks for any help, or pointers to free or cheap software, that does similar things. I currently very happily use Aladdin

 http://www.hitech.se/development/products/aladdin.htm

but wondered about dispensing with a special DSP board.

/*------------------------------------------------------*/
Stuart Rosen, PhD
Professor of Speech and Hearing Science
Dept of Phonetics & Linguistics