From: Mark Skowronski [mailto:markskow@cnel.ufl.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 6:31 PM
To: Rahul Shrivastav
Subject: Re: FW: mfcc filters gain

Rahul,

Feel free to post this reply to your listserv.

Regarding scaling of triangular filters in MFCC or HFCC, in short, it
doesn't matter.

In MFCC and HFCC, the FFT magnitude squared (power spectrum) is scaled by
a triangular filter, and the sum of those squared terms is called the
filter output energy E(i) for i=1,...,N filters.  Now scale those output
energies by whatever scale factor you like (equal area triangles, equal
height, unity amplitude) and denote the scaled energies as E(i)*A(i) where
A(i) is the peak amplitude of the scaled triangular filter i.

In MFCC and HFCC, E(i)*A(i) is log transformed to log(E(i)) + log(A(i))
before the DCT.  Since the DCT is linear, log(E(i)), i=1,...,N transforms
to cE(j), j=1,...,M (M-point DCT) and log(A(i)) transforms to cA(j).

So log(E(i)) + log(A(i)) --> cE(j) + cA(j) via the DCT.

For two different frames of speech under analysis, MFCC and HFCC will
produce two different cE(j) but the same term cA(j).

In computing an Lp distortion measure between the two different frames of
speech (Euclidean, p=2) as in the DTW, the cA(j) terms would cancel by
subtraction.  In probability models of the cepstral feature distributions
(Hidden Markov model or Gaussian mixture model), the means of pdfs of all
classes would translate by the same amount cA(j), j=1,...,M dimension
feature space.

If you have A(i) changing in time (adapting to the input), that's another
story...

+Mark