Re: ICA, a key to solve the puzzle of hearing

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Guoping Li wrote:

>  ICA was designed to solve the problem of cocktail party effect using
>  higher order statistical methods. Is it possible that we can use this
>  technique and implement it in the hearing aid or cochlear implant?

As far as I remember, when ICA is used for blind signal separation, it
needs at least N input signals (for example, from a microphone array) for
extracting N independent components.
:(

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *