'Persistance of hearing'

I've been looking at Timbre Spaces for a while, in particular the
spaces by Grey in the 1970s. In one of his papers he mentions an
experiment where two sounds are chosen (let's call them A and B), and
a set of sounds is generated morphing from A to B. What he discovered
is that there is a hysteresis effect when listening to the morphing,
i.e. If the sounds are played from A to B, the listener will report
hearing A for over half the samples whereas if the sounds are played
from B to A, the listener will report hearing B for more samples.

I am vaguely aware of similar optical illusions such as persistence of
vision and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to more
information on this effect in hearing as I want to know if this effect
is particular to the timbre space or is a product of human perception.

Regards,
Craig Nicol.