hearing aid question: "boominess"

Hi team,

I am a newly qualified dispenser and need a bit of advice please.

I am dispensing a digital hearing aid and the patient reports an unpleasant "echo" or "boominess".

This is NOT occlusion. After a lot of trials I can make the boominess go away by dropping gain in a notch around 1kHz.
However this also reduces speech volume & intelligibility!

The loss is 40dB flattish, and I am using WDRC with 55-60dB TK point.

This is driving me nuts ... is there anything obvious I should be looking at for causes of "boominess"?

Thnaks!

regards,

Richard