audio editor

I've been looking for a good audio editor, and I'm really impressed
with the Linux binary version of WaveSurfer, a freeware product
from the Royal Institute of Technology of Stockholm. It worked
immediately after I downloaded it. Other editors seem to require
pre-installation of lots of other software before they will work.

However, when I tried the same thing on my Mac OS X system, the
"binary" download produced a bunch of directories and files that
somehow have to be compiled, but I couldn't figure out how to
compile it. Has anyone been successful with WaveSurfer on Mac
OS X, and if so could they make the compiled binary available?

This is also a good time to ask for other recommendations for
sound editors. Stanford's Snd, for example, looks good, but I
haven't had time to try it.

Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign