Speakers for speech testing

Does anyone know of research that has investigated a effect of the speaker's frequency response on speech perception ability? We could try to get speaker response to be perfectly flat, but so long as we are within an ANSI standard, does it really make a difference? Does anyone know the scientific basis of this standard?   ANSI standard 3.6-1996 (from Katz on speech audiometry): No more than 10 dB attenuation 125-250 Hz +/- 3 dB 250-4000 Hz +/- 5 dB 4000-6000 Hz   Ward R. Drennan, Ph. D.
VM Bloedel Hearing Research Center
University of Washington Box 357923
Seattle, WA 98195-7923
Phone: (206) 897-1848