From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel Silva
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 3:51 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: representations: phonetic/phonological

Hi

In my opiniom concepts involving representations are too obscure in the
speech sciences. I have got the impression that authors are often
telling about different things by employing the same words.

At the moment I am struggling  with questions concerning the
demarcation line (or grey zone) between phonetic and phonologtical
representations.
However my attempts have been virtualy unsuccesful. It seems that tare
is no great concern in clearing up this concepts in spite of the
overspread use of the terms (or maybe I am looking for answers in the
wrong places)

In speech neurosciences, for exemple, with few exceptions, we never
know exactly what does one means by the term "representation", and it
gets even worse when it is associated with the words "phonological"
or "phonetic".

I would appreciate some commentaries and indications of interesting
papers.

Thanks!

-