Subject: lead vocal detection, removal and extraction

Tobias:

I'm no expert on this, but the basic concept revolves
around the fact that most vocals are recorded as mono
and mixed equally to left and right channels, whereas
other instruments are typically panned across the
sound stage.  In the pre-DSP era there was an analog
electronic device called the "Thompson Vocal Eliminator"
that did this task in real-time.  However, as Susan has
pointed out, the process wasn't perfect because there
was typically some effects (reverb, etc) mixed into
the L and R channels that was out of phase, so didn't
cancel in a simple L-R subtraction.  However, it was
apparently good enough for the intended use.  The
live singer's voice would tend to mask these leakage
effects... or they might even be regarded as some sort
of enhancement.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

-----------------------------------
> Date:    Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:19:31 +0200
> From:    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tobias_Wagenbla=DF?=
> <tobias.wagenblass@xxxxxx> Subject: lead vocal detection,
> removal and extraction
>
> hi,
>
> i have to do a "karaoke algorithm" as my diploma thesis
> and i am currently collecting information about this
> topic. so, it would be helpful if anyone could help me
> finding informations on
>
> - detecting and extracting the lead vocals (in stereo
> signals) - removing the lead vocals (from stereo signals)
>
> and related stuff like source separation.
>
> thanks so far,
> tobias

Bob Masta

audioATdaqartaDOTcom