From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception on behalf of Mike Ravicz
Sent: Fri 2/10/2006 3:02 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] ear defenders/sound attenuation

Hello Gerry,

It's been a few years since I've looked at this, but...  My
recollection is that the performance among inexpensive commercial
dielectric earmuffs/ear defenders with both large and small earcups
is all pretty similar at moderate and high frequencies (above 500 Hz
or so) but that earmuffs with smaller earcups were worse at low
frequencies: 2-5 dB less attenuation at a few hundred Hz.  By looking
in a handful of industrial and laboratory supply catalogues we found
a wide variety of choices - maybe 12-15 different models.  Such
catalogues usually give just a frequency-average NRR value, but a
little poking around on the Web can usually provide attenuations at
different frequencies.

Keep in mind that anything to disrupt the seal between the earmuff
cushion and the subject's skin will degrade performance (e.g., hair,
glasses, prominent jaw, etc.).  Some people have looked at heavier
gel cushions - I think they provide more attenuation (and perhaps a
better seal) at low freqs.
        - Mike Ravicz

Mike Ravicz, Eaton-Peabody Lab., Mass. Eye & Ear Inf., Boston MA
02114 USA
+1 (617) 573-5591; FAX +1 (617) 720-4408; mike_ravicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?" -
Spike Mulligan