normal hearing 2

Dear list,
In a recent posting ("normal hearing", April 2005) I found mention of the criteria and of the ISO standards which define normal results for audiometric tests.

In the summary posting it is mentioned that non-normal, by definition, is anything higher than 0 dB HL, and, again, that non-normal, probably in the field of clinical audiology, is anything below 25 dB HL (adults).

Now, my question might seem quite recursive, but:

is there a standard for deciding that the hearing of an individual is not standard?

Thank you,

Bruno L. Giordano, PhD
Schulich School of Music, McGill University
555 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, QC H3A 1E3