From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruno L. Giordano
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 5:20 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: normal hearing 2

Dear list,
In a recent posting ("normal hearing", April 2005) I found mention of the
criteria and of the ISO standards which define normal results for
audiometric tests.

In the summary posting it is mentioned that non-normal, by definition, is
anything higher than 0 dB HL, and, again, that non-normal, probably in the
field of clinical audiology, is anything below 25 dB HL (adults).

Now, my question might seem quite recursive, but:

is there a standard for deciding that the hearing of an individual is not
standard?

Thank you,
    Bruno

Bruno L. Giordano, PhD
CIRMMT
Schulich School of Music, McGill University
555 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, QC H3A 1E3
Canada