Re: Masking Models PEAQ (Spreading Functions Used)

Hello List,

Thanks for the many replies. There were 1 or 2 papers in particular that I was missing that should clear up a few things. A number of you emailed me to ask me to pass on personal replies so here is a summary of the important information. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to help me out here:

(1) PEAQ--The ITU Standard for Objective Measurement of Perceived Audio Quality

(2) Zwicker's Work

(3) T. Thiede, W. C. Treurniet, R. Bitto, C. Schmidmer, T. Sporer, J. G.
Beerends, C. Colomes, M. Keyhl,  G. Stoll, K. Brandenburg, B. Feiten,
"PEAQ - The ITU-Standard for Objective Measurement of Perceived Audio
Quality," J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 48, pp. 3-29 (2000 Jan/Feb).

(4) J. G. Beerends and J. A. Stemerdink, "A Perceptual Audio Quality Measure
Based on a Psychoacoustic Sound Representation," J. Audio Eng. Soc.,
vol. 40, pp. 963-978 (1992 Dec.)

(5) ITU-R BS.1387-1

(6) An Examination and Interpretation of ITU-R BS.1387, P. Kabal

(7) Perceptual Audio Quality Assessment using a Non-Linear Filter Bank, T. Thiede (Google it) - Including DIX

(8) PAQM

(9) POM

(10) OASE

(11) PERCEVAL

(12) NMR

Many thanks again to all.

Kind Regards,
Dermot Campbell

Dermot Campbell wrote:
Hello All,

I have a query about the PEAQ algorithm (BS.1387 ITU standard) that someone may be able to help me with on here.

I’m trying to trace the origins of the masking models (spreading functions that is), both frequency and time domain spreading, used in PEAQ. Where did these masking models originate and was different time/frequency spreading techniques tested? I’m finding it difficult to trace papers where these spreading functions have been developed, tested etc. Also, is it possible to obtain details on work carried out by the ITU in the lead up to the official standardisation of PEAQ (study groups etc)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me, please feel free to email me if my email is a little vague.

Kind Regards,
Dermot Campbell,
PhD Student NUIG Ireland