wrote: -----

To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ursula Kirmse <ukirmse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception
Date: 09/12/2006 11:26AM
Subject: making a sound unrecognizable

Dear list members,

I'm looking for a possibility to change/edit a environmental or at least
natural sound in a way  that it is not any longer recognizable as what
it is, but, however, for doing this with changing as less acoustic
parameters as possible. ;-)  The intention is to use these sounds in a
MMN paradigm and it is important that  both "versions" of the sound are
acoustically as similar as possible.
The main point is that the sound (that can also be a more complex thing
as the sound of a barking dog or a something like that) should be not
possible to be recognized as what it is.

I would be very happy about ideas or would like know if maybe somebody
has already tried something like this?  I would also be very happy about
recommations for software or matlab scripts that could be helpful in
respect to this. For example I'm looking for a way to transfer the
amplitude envelope from one sound to another (I already wrote a matlab
routine for this, but its not yet functioning perfectly fine and the
result is not completely convincing).

So if anybody has a an idea I would be grateful.

best regards and thanks a lot,
Ursula Kirmse

Ursula Kirmse
University of Leipzig