Resonance model of the cochlea

Dear list:

Some years back I put forward a novel model of the cochlea in which wave
energy reverberated between the 3 rows of outer hair cells. This resonance
model of hearing generated some discussion on this list. The model became
the basis of my PhD study (just completed), and a number of papers are now
emerging. A central one is a paper recently published in a new journal,
Bioinspiration and Biomimetics.

This paper, "Sensors, motors, and tuning in the cochlea: interacting cells
could form a surface acoustic wave resonator", is currently available for
free download (until the end of this month) from

Andrew Bell
Research School of Biological Sciences
The Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia