Re: introductory reading on auditory perception

Hi Erin,

I use chapters out of Chris Plack's book 'The Sense of Hearing'. (Lawrence Erlbaum) for precisely this. The book is short, engagingly written, accurate, and up to date -- published 2005. Its also softcover, so reasonably inexpensive and practical for students to buy.

Erin E. Hannon wrote:
Dear Colleagues, I was hoping someone might be able to recommend readings to me. I need to find some good chapters and/or review papers that would be appropriate for a one-shot introduction to auditory perception in a seminar of graduate student who specialize in other areas (i.e., vision, memory, language). Most readings I've thought of are too long, too specialized, or too old. I thought I'd see if anyone on the list has better suggestions. Thanks very much!

Ingrid Johnsrude, PhD
Canada Research Chair in Cognitive Neuroscience
Department of Psychology
Queen’s University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6 Canada

Tel: 1 613 533 6009