Re: AW: Cochlear nonlinearity & TTS

Navid, Richard and the listees,

I have heard a lot of speculation about the cochlear amplifier for many years. One of the questions that I have wondered about
as a signal processing engineer for many years, is with all the sophisticated nonlinearities, delays, amplifiers, filters
etc that are present in the auditory periphery, how does it "represent" an acoustic signal in the neural spike patterns
that emanate from the auditory periphery? (I guess everyone wonders about it.)
Is it possible to reconstruct the acoustic signal if you were able to measure/monitor the
spike patterns that are put out by all the auditory nerve fibers? What is the reconstruction 'algorithm"?
(I know about Egbert deBoer's reconstruction method for a single nerve fiber.) Is'n't the information about the signal
distributed across many, many nerve fibers? Should'nt the reconstruction take information from
all nerve fibers and fuse them to reconstruct the signal? Just wondering aloud. RK