environmental non-noises

Dear List members,

We are currently working on an experiment about the semantical processing of environmental noises. We are trying to do a similar task as the lexical decision task with words and nonwords, but with environmental noises and "non-noises". The problem is that we have a hard time creating non-noises which are quite environmental noise-like, but are not recognizable. We tried almost every distortion methods used in the literature (reversing, spectrally-rotating, scrambling the parts) but the sounds are always pretty much recognizable by most people.
Does anyone have any idea on how to create such non-recognizable non-noises based on existing environmental noises? Or is this idea just not feasible, because people will always think that what they heard is something real?
Ferenc Honbolygó

Ferenc Honbolygó

Research Institute for Psychology, HAS
Department of Psychophysiology
Research Group of Developmental Psychophysiology
H-1394 Budapest, P.O.Box 398.

Web: http://humlab.cogpsyphy.hu/
E-mail: hf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel:     +361 354-2390