Re: Non-phonological stimuli

Dear Livia,

In the past I have used reversed speech as non-linguistic stimuli.
Systematically, subjects reported that they heard these sounds as such (for instance, frog-calls, mechanical sounds (machine-like) or just random noises.) More importantly none of the subjects in our experiments reported a language related stimuli. Obviously, such a stimuli preserve all the relevant properties of speech.
I would be very interested to learn about the replies you might get from the list.

Livia King wrote:
Dear List,

I am doing a project involving phonological processing using auditory
words and pseudowords.  I am trying to find a good non-phonological
control stimulus that does not contain recognizable phonemes, but
still has similar characteristics and complexity to speech.  An ideal
solution would be some kind of filtering or distortion that I could
apply to my existing word stimuli so that each word is matched with
its own control, but I would be open to independently generated
stimuli as well.  I have tried playing the words backwards, and have
experimented a little with band pass filtering, but the results still
end up sounding too "phonological."  Does anyone know of better
options?  Since we're doing a matching task, each control stimulus
would also have to be unique sounding enough for our subjects to
Thank you in advance,
Livia King
'Life is short but wide'

Heriberto Avelino