Re: reaction time measures

Check psychopy (http://www.psychopy.org/) (for visual presentations)

If you do not mind programming, python/pygame is good enough for many experiments.

It is difficult to ensure than you have millisecond precision on each trial because non real-time, pre-emptive operating systems like Windows or Linux can switch to other processes and create latencies ( i.e. delays in stimulus delivery or detection of button press). But this is not often a difficulty in practice. First, you can check for latencies in your program, second the variance of human subjects' decision times is typically order of magnitude larger than the variance in the timing of the computer.

Christophe