Re: Delay of the active cochlea

Make sure that your experiment is based on either rarefaction or compression clicks. Rarefaction is standard because the delay is shorter by half a period.

When I discussed delay issues with Mario Ruggero several years ago, he pointed out that his data differ a lot, even for measurement with living cat.
I would not trust in models, except for the fact that there is certainly an additional synaptical delay <0.2ms. Those who are still trying to calculate traveling waves by means of wave models do not accept that cochlear traveling waves are definitely epiphenomenal ones. In other words, net cochlear delay is given by about 1/4 or 3/4 of characteristic period, therefore the 1/CF dependency. The delay is larger for low SPL where the active mechanism has to build up. This reasoning holds for human and cats likewise. Merely the range of CFs differs.

If someone is not yet familiar with my pertaining cosine spectrogram, he might look for http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M283.html and hopefully still find a recently revised (by Robert Franzius) version of my IEEE paper "Adaptation of Spectral Analysis to Reality". On request I offer a related paper "A Still Valid Argument by Walther Ritz" (8 pages).

BTW, it was Steven Greenberg himself who made me aware of 1/CF. Then Yidao Cai sent me cat data with net delays up to 4 ms for the first extreme.
Al Bregman was unhappy with excessive discussion on the cochlea function issue. He asked for altruists who could provide a special forum. Jont Allen and I responded. While Andrew Bell and Martin Braun also questioned the old theory, we did not reach full agreement about all details. Nonetheless, I made my homework and arrived at the insight that physics as well as mathematics suffers from old mistakes with various consequences.

Anybody may alert me if
- either he found a spectrogram that compares with respect to resolution and realism to the cosine spectrogram or
- or he may confirm that the second in history of science expensive experiment found the Higgs boson or
- or he is absolutely sure that the enterprise that already sells quantum computer actually benefits from quantum entanglement or
- or he did provide really conclusive evidence that Cantor's paradise is based on solid ground.

Regards, Eckard Blumschein

Quoting Harczos Tamás <harczos@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Dear List,

regarding to Greenberg et al. (1997) the amount of cochlear delay along the
basilar membrane has 1/x manner, and ranges from ~3ms to ~12ms. For an
experiment I would need very precise delay values for human cochlea and I
wonder if someone could point me to references from the last 10 years
concerning measurement results of active cochlear delay in humans.

Thanks in advance!
Tamás