Re: Using sound with a GIS

Dear Nick,

My guess is that a display of sound in which the listeners were
passive would not work well.  If the users had a pen which they could
pass over the display, and this caused a sound (perhaps varying in
quality with the type of data under the pen), then the users would be
able to explore at will, and integrate the information into a
two-dimensional spatial representation.  It could also be done with
vibratory feedback from the pen.

Please excuse this email if this all seems obvious.

-- Al
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor
Psychology Department, McGill University
1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1.
 Tel: (514) 398-6103
 Fax: (514) 398-4896