[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Sound Level Meters

Check Larson Davis (LD) sound level meters, Type 1. If they meet your need for filters, they are MUCH less expensive than B and K. LD meets ANSI standards. Type 1 has standard calibrator.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, R. Mercuri wrote:

I need to perform some sound level readings at an industrial facility and am looking for a good logging octave-band recorder. I'd appreciate recommendations.

The equipment must be capable of handling the following bands 20-75, 75-150, 150-300, 300-600, 600-1200, 1200-2400, 2400-4800, and 4800 and above. The equipment must ALSO be compliant with the ANSI standards for Sound Level Meter Sl4-1971 and for Octave Band Filter Sets SL11-1966, R1971. I realize these standards are out of date, but those are the ones I have to be sure the equipment complies with, so if anyone knows how those earlier standards relate to ANSI Type 1, 2 etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, recommendations for companies in the USA who rent such equipment would be greatly appreciated (as in, if you had a particularly GOOD or BAD experience with a certain company, this would be helpful to know).

A final question is with regard to calibration of the equipment -- are they self-calibrating, or is there a calibration test-set that one can purchase to ensure the equipment is in spec.

Thanks in advance for any information that folks can provide.

Rebecca Mercuri, Ph.D.

Ward R. Drennan, Ph. D.
VM Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Department of Otolaryngology
University of Washington Box 357923
Seattle, WA 98195
Office: (206) 897-1848
Fax: (206) 616-1828