Re: Musician's IQ

What do you call a drummer with only one stick…

    ….a conductor.

Drummers need to focus on a lot more than just the rhythm.  They also need to focus on the interactions between musicians, phrasing, counter phrasing, dynamics, the idiosyncrasies across musicians, audience reaction (or lack thereof), the comfort level of the singers (a slight tempo adjustment may be needed when the vocalist can’t get out all of the words), balance, blend, technique, tone quality, tuning, psychoacoustical conflicts in the bands mix, reaction time, etc., etc.

Actually, it takes a good measure of skill and a reasonable intellect to be a drummer.

I’d keep them in your study.

Andy

House Ear Institute