From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel E. Shub
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 9:52 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Happy/Sad BMLD cartoon

I am curious about the history of the cartoon which denotes the different
stimulus configurations and the corresponding performance used in studies of
binaural masking level differences. I did a quick web search for an example:
http://drgeorgethomas.com/images/successpicture2.jpg

This one looks like the version in Moore's book. My guess is Moore's artwork
was original, but that he did not come up with the concept.

I am curious as to who first conceptualize the BMLD with happy and sad
faces.

Thank you
Dan