From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of AUDITORY automatic digest
system
Sent: 26. august 2008 06:15
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AUDITORY Digest - 20 Aug 2008 to 25 Aug 2008 (#2008-169)

Topics of the day:

  1. Happy/Sad BMLD cartoon (2)

Date:    Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:52:25 -0400
From:    "Daniel E. Shub" <dshub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Happy/Sad BMLD cartoon

I am curious about the history of the cartoon which denotes the different
stimulus configurations and the corresponding performance used in studies of
binaural masking level differences. I did a quick web search for an example:
http://drgeorgethomas.com/images/successpicture2.jpg

This one looks like the version in Moore's book. My guess is Moore's artwork
was original, but that he did not come up with the concept.

I am curious as to who first conceptualize the BMLD with happy and sad
faces.

Thank you
Dan